You can read our written photo editing instructions below, or watch our 5-minute video for how to use GIMP (free photo editing software):
This article will walk you through using GIMP photo editing software, which is free software you can use to edit images before using them in your MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) campaigns. We’ll show you how to download the GIMP software, add text to your image, and enhance its look to make your messages look sleek, professional, and engaging.
A few ways you can use MMS for images include:
- Holiday Greetings
- Sale Announcements
- Event Invitations
- Important Alerts
- And many, many more (really)
A few free or low-cost stock image sites we recommend exploring:
- http://www.freeforcommercialuse.net (free images)
- www.iStockphoto.com (low-cost images)
- www.depositphotos.com (low-cost images)
Editing Images Using GIMP Photo Editing Software
STEP 1 - Downloading and Installation
- Download and install the software (For Mac: Visit www.gimp.org/downloads. You'll want to click on "Download Gimp 2.8" and the download should start immediately. For PC: You'll want to be sure to download the program -- the .exe download -- and not the torrent.)
- Once downloaded, for Mac, open disk image. For PC, open the application in your Apps or Applications folder.
STEP 2 - Basic Photo Editing
- If you do not see any panels for tools upon opening the software: Windows => New Toolbox
- Import your image(s): File => Open => Then search for or choose your file
- Conduct basic editing: Add text using the Text Tool in your Tool Options panel. Click anywhere on your image to type text.
- To change the font, begin typing a letter into the font box that appears after clicking on your image with the Text Tool, then choose from the drop-down options.
- To change the size, click on the up and down arrows in the font size box
- To change the text color, click on the color box in the lower, righthand corner of the text toolbox.
- To add a drop shadow, select your text by double-clicking, then: Filters => Light and Shadow => Drop Shadow. Adjust the drop shadow’s offset as desired.
STEP 3 - Saving and Exporting Your Image
- Once finished editing your image, save your GIMP project file: File=> “save as” lets you save the editable image in GIMP
- Export your image for use with EZ Texting: Export As => select the “jpg” or “jpeg” from the “All export images” drop-down menu. Then click “save.”
That's it! Your image has been created and you’re now ready to use your image with EZ Texting’s MMS. Just log into your EZ Texting account and click "Send Text & MMS Message" in the upper left corner of the page. You'll then be able to upload your saved image to your campaign.
(Please note: EZ Texting will automatically compress image files, so you don’t have to worry about the size at which you save the file.)
For a full walkthrough for uploading your image to MMS, check out our Help Page.