Keywords are great tools to use to get contacts to sign up for your text lists automatically. If for some reason your keywords aren't working properly, here are some options to help you trouble shoot those issues.
Depending on your issue, here are some questions to help you address this:
- Did the contact text in the wrong keyword and or short code number/toll-free number?
- Are they receiving someone else's messages instead of yours?
- Did the contact receive a "service access denied" message block response?
- Do you have enough credits to send the auto-response?
- Is the Alternate-Reply Message feature enabled on your keyword?
- Is the user on your blocked list?
- My Keyword isn't activating my Drip Campaign
Or, see this quick help video.
Finding the Correct Keyword and Short Code Number/Toll Free Number
First, it is important to make sure that you or your contact is texting in the correct keyword to the correct short code number or toll free number (if applicable).
- What is the short code? This is a 5 or 6 digit authorized phone number that allows you to send texts from your account without getting blocked as spam.
- What is a keyword? A unique code that contacts can use to opt into your account automatically
To double check and see what your keyword is, go to Keywords & Numbers on the left panel.
To see what your short code or toll free phone number is, click on the My Account "person" icon in the upper right corner.
Tip: We recommend advertising your keyword in capital letters so that it is easy for contacts to recognize what keyword to text.
Are they Receiving Someone Else's Messages?
There is a possible chance where someone could have opted into the wrong account.
Important: If a contact opts into the wrong account by mistake, then they would be subscribed to any new messages from that account as well for up to 12 hours. They can reply STOP within the 12 hours of receiving their message to opt out from the wrong account. They will have to text in your keyword again to opt back in to your account.
How To Fix This:
- Send the contact a text from the "correct" EZ account. Go to the New Message on the left panel in your account and enter their phone number into the "To" field. Create a message and click Send Now.
- The contact will receive a text from your account. If they now text in the correct keyword for your account, they will be resubscribed to the text list associated with your keyword.
Did the contact receive a "service access denied" response?
If a contact texted in a keyword and received a response saying, "service access denied" or "Free Msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is active.", then this means that the contact will have to reach out to their phone carrier and ask to be have a short code block removed.
Do you have enough credits to send the auto-response?
Don't worry, inbox replies are free and you won't lose your keyword opt in attempts when you run out of credits. Only outbound messages coming from the account will require credits in order for them to be sent.
To find out how many credits you have, click on the bottom left pop up drawer. If you notice that you have 0 credits, click on the ADD button to add more. Or, if you are on your inbox page, you will see a message that says that you have queued messages.
*Note: This interface is subject to change with updated improvements. Learn more.*
Is the Alternate-Reply Message feature enabled on your keyword?
The Alternate-Reply Message feature lets a contact know that they have already joined the contact list. It also makes sure that contacts are not opted in more than once. If this feature is on, then a contact that has already opted in will not receive an auto-reply message.
To toggle this feature on and off, go to Keywords & Numbers and click directly on your keyword. Then click on Reply Settings and select Set up.
Click Delete and then Save.
Is the user on your blocked list?
You will want to make sure that a contact isn't on your Blocked Contacts list.
To see if a contact is blocked:
- Go to Contacts on the left panel
- Scroll down and click on Blocked Contacts
If you see a contact is on the Blocked list, unblock them and have them text in the keyword again.
My Keyword Isn't Activating My Drip Campaign
Make sure your keyword is connected to the same contact group that your drip campaign is connected to.
To see what group your keyword is connected to:
- Go to Keywords & Numbers and click directly on the keyword. Click Edit next to Connect to Groups to update the group it is connected to.
- Go back to Campaigns > Drip campaigns on the left panel. Make sure that the same group your keyword is connected to is also connected your campaign.