First, what's a Keyword?
A Keyword is a word or phrase that your customers can text to a 10-digit number (such as your own text-enabled landline) or a designated Short Code (six easily textable numbers, like 484848).
A Keyword and a Short Code working together is a great way to get attention and encourage your customer's to opt in to your text marketing list.
In the example below the Keyword is "SUBSCRIBE" and the Short Code is "484848."
How to Use Your Free Demo Keyword
1. From the left navigation panel, click Keywords & Numbers.
2. Click Add Keyword.
3. First, you need to make sure your keyword is available. Type the keyword you want in the text box, and then click Search. Since you are creating a demo keyword your keyword will have the letters "EZ" in front of it.
Remember, a Keyword must be between 2 and 12 letters and numbers with no spaces or special characters.
4. If the keyword you want is available, we'll let you know and you can click Activate Keyword to secure it.
5. Next, connect your keyword to a Group. We suggest adding it to the Test group.
6. We will walk you through creating an auto response for your Demo Keyword, including an Auto Reply with opt-out instructions as required by wireless carriers.
7. You can make your Auto Reply more personal by using our personalization tool, which allows you to add a customer's first or last name to your outgoing text. (It also allows you to unsubscribe that contact.) You can also choose to add a Message Template, an image, and/or a link.
8. As part of the new group, we'll give you the opportunity to set up customized Reply Settings and Advanced Features – these steps are optional and are only used to add an additional reply message or a double opt-in flow. When you are done (or if you want to skip this step), click Continue.
9. This is another optional step that allows you to configure Advanced Options, such as forwarding opt-ins and configuring an API. When you are done (or if you want to skip this step), click Continue.
10. Conclude the demo keyword set-up process by clicking Done.
11. Now, give it a try! Text your new keyword to your short code (visible in the message preview pane) and make sure you get the reply. Your number should be added as a contact and as a member of the Test group. You can check this by navigating to the Contacts section and clicking on the Groups tab.