Sending group texts is one of the most effective ways to notify, engage, and promote your organization. Here we will show you the basics on how to send a text.
Note: If you were assigned a toll-free number, review more information.
Start by clicking New Message on the left panel.
Click the To field and choose the contact(s) or group(s) you want to send a text message to.
You can also add individual contacts by typing in the name(s) or number(s)(i.e. 6789313113) followed by a comma to separate them.
Note: If you have several numbers to enter, we highly recommend that you use the copy/paste feature or upload a list on the Contacts page to save time.
The first part of your message is your Company Name. This field is optional, but adding a Company Name is a good habit to get into as it lets your contacts know who the message is from – the Company Name appears in parentheses before the incoming text message.
You can update your Company Name by typing it directly into the Company/Group field on the New Message page. Or, you can update it in your account settings under the "profile icon" in the upper right.
Note: Adding a Company Name will come from your total character count so keep it brief!
Before we continue it might be helpful to review the difference between SMS and MMS messages.
1 SMS message (160 characters or less) = 1 credit
1 MMS message (up to 1600 characters and or includes an image or video) = up to 3 credits (varies between plans)
1 credit = $0.05 cents*
Give users the option to reply STOP to opt out using the SafeSTOP feature. Contacts can reply "STOP" to a text at any time in order to no longer receive texts from your account. The SafeSTOP feature automatically adds "STOP to end" so that users are aware of how to opt out.
When they reply "STOP" to your text, your contacts are automatically added to your unsubscribed opt out list. This list is saved on your Contacts page so that you won't have to worry about accidentally texting someone who has already opted out.
Tip: Have the contact resubscribe to your contact list by texting in your Keyword.
Set a delivery time using the "Schedule for later" option, or you can choose to send immediately!
Note: Messages are sent based on the time zone set on your account. You can manage your time zone by clicking the account management "profile icon" in the upper right and then clicking Personal Info.
After you have sent your message, go to your Outbox to see the Delivery Reports page.
Best Practices for Sending a Group Text
- Promote your business like a pro:
- Send at least one message a month to keep your business top of mind
- Pictures are worth a thousand words, consider sending an MMS message instead of an SMS message
- Tell your customers what you want them to do – always include a call to action, such as a link to click, a phone number to call, or an address.
- Focus on high-quality offers too good to pass up – coupons, discounts, or BOGO offers are always crowd favorites.
- Send people reminders to avoid missed connections and no-shows:
- Send reminders at least 24 hours notice before appointments
- Give customers the option to confirm or reschedule (if applicable)
- Don’t forget to add a Company Name so they know who you are.
Now that you know how to send a text, learn how you can personalize texts, add links or pictures, create templates, forward messages and send from phone.